Pathkeeper Mobile App Case Study
Goal: Gamify an Earth Caring Activity, Team Project
After creating a proto-persona, my team and I got to work conducting a survey and interviews.
How might we help busy people who enjoy outdoor activity feel encouraged to engage in Earth care activities along with a sense of community support and results they can see?
With a problem statement based on our analysis of the user research, we continued to ideate.
Direct and Indirect competitor analysis inspired the design of Pathkeeper. Here are select observations.
Wren.co – Direct Competitor
Clear cut education on the topics and what you can do to offset carbon emissions, project-based solutions that are shared with the audience
Sugi Project – Direct Competitor
Beautiful design. Compelling stories. Feels intellectual. Keeps track of projects into fruition. Partners with global universities with forestry programs. The effects of monetary donations can be visualised.
Duolingo / Pokemon Go – Indirect Competitors
Clear gamification that doesn’t overwhelm the user. /Playful interface that is enjoyable to look at.
User Experience Design
User Journey Map
A user journey map helped with visualizing the user flow.
Creating a comprehensive user flow gets the project going and gives the team a better idea of how the app will work for the user.
User Interface Design
Along with my team, I formulated a style sheet and components to refer to. This style sheet became the guide for our project design. This tool helped us collaborate and keep the app aligned to one aesthetic.
After creating a clickable wireframe prototype it was time for design and more testing!
Some feedback from testing:
- Reformat home screen to bring more emphasis to the map and overall declutter
- More of an indication that badges are clickable
- Fix wording in tutorial
- Back button on home screen is confusing
- Make onboarding more clear
Future iterations of Pathkeeper might include:
- Follow other users and create groups
- AR feature with tree and plant identification
- Sponsored community clean ups with experience prizes, i.e. enough points wins a free kayak rental
- Users can create a “Litter Alert” and drop a pin to alert others about an area in need of clean up